Monday, February 13, 2012

Warrior, come out and play.....

I love films about fighting, I guess I'm a closet macho steroid freak even though at the gym I stick to the weight machines and the recumbent bike. Today I watched WARRIOR which had a lot of good reviews. It was interesting in that it was about MMA instead of boxing, and I don't know if there have been a lot of good MMA movies. Wrestler Kurt Angle plays a vicious Russian fighter but he ends up kind of being a McGuffin.

The ending was kind of anti-climactic, but I still got into the movie overall. Nick Nolte basically plays Nick Nolte. I like that the movie went into a different direction than I expected, but the most exciting part for me was 15-20 minutes before the end.

MMA matches are so short that they are probably not as good dramatic fodder as boxing is, since there are only three rounds and generally MMA matches in the movies are way longer than most MMA matches are in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment